The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Double degree programme

Each year a handful of students are selected for nomination to go to Fudan for the double degree programme. Students in this programme spend their second year at Fudan University in Shanghai, and take courses about Chinese society, culture, and politics. They will also write their thesis in Shanghai.

Overview of our Double Degree Programme

The Faculty of Social Sciences has an exchange agreement with Fudan University in Shanghai, China, which allows eligible students in Global Studies, Development Studies and Social Studies of Gender, to apply for a full year’s study at Fudan University. These students will obtain a Master’s degree from Fudan University in addition to the Master’s degree from Lund. 

Degrees Awarded

  • Degree of Master in Sociology, Social Anthropology or Social Work, with specialisation in Chinese Society, at Fudan University.
  • Degree of Master of Science (120 credits) in Global Studies, Development Studies or Social Studies of Gender Studies, at Lund University.

Double Degree Programme Course Structure

Courses at Lund University for students in Global Studies, Development studies or Social studies of Gender:

Mandatory courses at Fudan University:

  • Introduction to Chinese Society, 10 ECTS / 3 Chinese credits.
  • Introduction to Chinese Culture, 10 ECTS / 3 Chinese credits.

Elective courses at Fudan University (each course equal 10 ECTS or 3 Chinese credits)

  • Chinese Social Development and Globalization
  • Chinese Rural Society
  • Chinese Demography and Social Policy
  • Conducting Research in Chinese Context
  • The Transitional Chinese Society
  • Religion in Chinese Society
  • Doing Fieldwork in China
  • Culture and Health

You will receive more detailed information on this option during your studies. If you are interested in this option, contact the Faculty of Social Sciences International Office.

International Office

For questions about exchange studies and studies abroad, contact International Office at the Faculty of Social Sciences, at outgoing [at] sam [dot] lu [dot] se (outgoing[at]sam[dot]lu[dot]se).