Javascript is not activated in your browser. This website needs javascript activated to work properly.
You are here

Living in Sweden and other practical matters

Once you are accepted to one of our programmes you will receive lots of information about arriving and living in Lund. Below you will find some basic introductions that we hope you will find useful.

Wind rooster

How can I arrange my residence permit?

If you come from a country outside the EU/EEA you need to apply for a residence permit. You apply for your residence permit as soon as you have received your letter of acceptance. The application process can take quite some time, so it is important that you start as early as possible. You apply for the permit through the Swedish Mirgation board (click on the link is below) or otherwise through the Swedish Embassy/Consulate in your home country. Detailed information about visas and residence permits is provided on the following webpage:

The Swedish Migration Board (new window)

What are the living costs in Sweden?

Approximately SEK 9 000 a month is the amount a Swedish student would receive in student loans and grants from the Swedish government. As a comparison you can see what a budget of SEK 8 000/month* could be composed of:

Food SEK 2 300
Accommodation SEK 3 200-4 800
Course literature SEK 400-1 000
Other: clothing, telephone, leisure, etc. SEK 1 500
*Please note that this is only a rough estimate.

More information about the living cost in Sweden

If you are a non-Nordic, non-EU/EEA citizen, you must provide documentation showing that you have enough money to support yourself in order to get a residence permit for studies. This means having at least SEK 7800 per month at your disposal for the duration of the studies.

Am I allowed to get a part-time job in Sweden?

Yes, your residence permit allows you to work during your studies in Lund. According to experience, there is little time left for work besides your studies so you cannot rely on a job as your financial support. Also, it may be quite difficult to find a part-time job in Lund, especially if you do not speak Swedish.

How can I find accommodation in Lund?

The housing situation in Lund is challenging. The International Housing Office at Lund University helps international students with housing.

More information about how to find somewhere to live

Page Manager:

Map of lecture halls

View Lund University in a larger map

Contact us

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Email: master [at] sam [dot] lu [dot] se

Phone: +46 (0)46 222 48 83, +46 (0)46 222 31 30

Postal Address:
Programme Administrator
Graduate School
Faculty of Social Sciences
Lund University, Box 117
221 00 Lund, Sweden

Gamla Kirurgen

Faculty Office
Sandgatan 3
221 00 Lund