Programme Structure - Middle Eastern Studies
The Master of Arts in Middle Eastern Studies comprises a total of 120 credits (2 years). The programme is full-time, and you should expect to put in at least 40 hours a week. This includes lectures and seminars.
The first semester begins with a profile course introducing the students to the main themes and issues of the programme. The profile course is followed by a course in research method.
The second semester begins with another profile course directly related to the main theme of the programme. Through the profile course students further increase their understanding and knowledge of the Middle East through a deeper comprehension of theories and current research. The second profile course is followed by a course in theory of science and a course in research methods.
The third semester consists of optional courses to be taken at Lund University or any other recognised university in Sweden or abroad. The courses are chosen after approval of the programme coordinator, and enable students to tailor the programme to suit their particular interests. Read more about the third term here.
In the fourth and last semester, students work towards presenting their research through their master’s thesis, totalling 30 credits. Degree upon completion of the programme, a degree of Master of Arts in Middle Eastern Studies.
The courses are studied in the following order:
- SIMP45: Introduction to Middle Eastern Studies
- SIMM41: Methods for Research in the Social Sciences, 15 credits (second half of the first semester)
- SIMP46: Middle Eastern Studies: Theory and Society, 15 credits
- Methods Electives totalling 15 credits
- Courses in the theory of sciences/research methods, 15 credits (second half of the second semester)
- Elective courses and/or study abroad, and/or internship, and/or fieldwork, 30 credits (the third term)
- Master's Thesis in Middle Eastern Studies, 30 credits (the fourth semester)
Email: master [at] sam [dot] lu [dot] se
Phone: +46 (0) 46-222 00 00
Faculty of Social Sciences
Lund University, Box 117
221 00 Lund, Sweden
Sandgatan 13A, Lund, Sweden
Find us on Google Maps