Programme Structure - Development Studies
The Master of Science in Development Studies comprises a total of 120 Swedish credits (2 years). The programme is full-time, and you should expect to put in at least 40 hours a week. This includes lectures and seminars.
The first semester begins with a profile course introducing the students to the main themes and issues of the programme. The profile course is followed by a course in research methods.
The second semester begins with another profile course directly related to the main theme of the programme. Through the profile course students further increase their understanding and knowledge of global development through a deeper comprehension of theories and current research. The second profile course is followed by a course in theory of science and a course in research methods.
The third semester consists of optional courses to be taken at Lund University or any other recognised university in Sweden or abroad. The courses are chosen after approval of the programme coordinator, and enable students to tailor the programme to suit their particular interests. Read more about the third term here.
During the fourth and last semester students complete the programme with a written thesis, which provides the opportunity to demonstrate mastery of theories, methods and argumentation. Read more about the thesis here.
The courses are studied in the following order:
- SIMP35: Theories and Issues in Development, 15 credits (first half of the first semester)
- SIMM41: Methods for Research in the Social Sciences, 15 credits (second half of the first semester)
- SIMP36: Historical Aspects of Development , 15 credits (first half of the second semester)
- Courses in the theory of sciences/research methods, 15 credits (second half of the second semester)
- Elective courses and/or studies abroad, and/or internship, 30 credits (the third term)
- Master's Thesis in the student´s major social science discipline, 30 credits (the fourth semester)
Email: master [at] sam [dot] lu [dot] se
Phone: +46-(0)46-222 48 83, +46-(0)46-222 49 83
Faculty of Social Sciences
Lund University, Box 117
221 00 Lund, Sweden
Sandgatan 3, Lund
Find us on Google Maps