Social Studies of Gender
The Master of Science in Social Studies of Gender comprises a total of 120 higher education credits (2 years). The programme runs full-time.
The first semester begins with a profile course introducing you to the main themes and issues of the programme. This is followed by a course in research methods.
- SIMP27: Gender, Class, Ethnicity and Sexuality, 15 credits (first half of the first semester)
- SIMM51: The Social Scientific Research Design and Process, 15 credits (second half of the first semester)
The second semester begins with another profile course directly related to the main theme of the programme. Through the profile course you will increase your understanding and knowledge of gender and society through a deeper comprehension of theories and current research.This is followed, in the second half of the second semester, by a course in theory of science and a course in research methods.
- SIMP28: Critical Feminist Perspectives on Social Theory, 15 credits (first half of the second semester)
- Courses in the theory of sciences/reserach methods, 15 credits (second half of the second semester)
The third semester consists of optional courses to be taken at Lund University or any other recognised university in Sweden or abroad. The courses are chosen after approval of the programme coordinator, and enable you to tailor the programme to suit your particular interests.
- Elective courses and/or studies abroad, and/or internship, 30 credits (the third term)
During the fourth and last semester you will complete the programme with a written thesis, which provides the opportunity to demonstrate mastery of theories, methods and argumentation.
- Master’s Thesis in the student´s major social science discipline, 30 credits (the fourth semester)
This is a full-time programme, and the workload is equivalent to about 40 hours a week on average (including lectures and seminars).