Programme Structure - Social Studies of Gender
Overview of the programme
The image below outlines each term and academic year:
The Master of Science in Social Studies of Gender comprises a total of 120 credits (2 years). The programme is full-time, and you should expect to put in at least 40 hours a week. This includes lectures and seminars.
The first term begins with a profile course introducing you to the main themes and issues of the programme. This is followed by a course in research methods.
The second term begins with another profile course directly related to the main theme of the programme. Through the profile course you will increase your understanding and knowledge of gender and society through a deeper comprehension of theories and current research.This is followed, in the second half of the second semester, by a course in theory of science and a course in research methods.
The third term consists of optional courses to be taken at Lund University or any other recognised university in Sweden or abroad. The courses are chosen after approval of the programme coordinator, and enable you to tailor the programme to suit your particular interests. Read more about the third term here.
During the fourth and last term, you will complete the programme with a written thesis, which provides the opportunity to demonstrate mastery of theories, methods and argumentation. Read more about the thesis here.
The courses are studied in the following order:
- SIMP27: Gender, Class, Ethnicity and Sexuality, 15 credits (first half of the first semester)
- SIMM51: The Social Scientific Research Design and Process, 15 credits (second half of the first semester)
- SIMP28: Critical Feminist Perspectives on Social Theory, 15 credits (first half of the second semester)
- Courses in the theory of sciences/reserach methods, 15 credits (second half of the second semester)
- Elective courses and/or studies abroad, and/or internship, 30 credits (the third term)
- Master’s Thesis in the student´s major social science discipline, 30 credits (the fourth semester)
Tailor your education!
Would you like to do an internship? Or study abroad? Learn more about your options.