The Social Scientific Research Design and Process - SIMM51
This course aims at providing a comprehensive understanding of different and mixed methods approaches in the Social Sciences, as well as providing you with necessary skills required for their application.
Develop your own research process
The course aims to provide students with an understanding of and skills in research design and research process in the social sciences. More specifically, the following topics will be covered by the course: research approaches, applied philosophy of science in the social sciences, selection of a research topic, literature overview, contextualising the research topic, role of theories in research, formulation of research questions, research design, choice of methods, planning of research, research ethics, and reflexivity in the research process. The course will introduce these issues through theoretical discussions and practical exercises. Students will work both in groups and individually.
During the course, students will design a research project, which will include to:
- Come up with a research problem
- Map the field
- Use the collected information on the context and previous literature to formulate specific research questions
- Elaborate a theoretical framework to be used in the project
- Locate their projects in different traditions of theory of science
- Reflect on the politics and ethics of the project
- Chose appropriate methods for data collection and provide a detailed reflection on these methods and the data to be collected.
Online course platform
This course uses Canvas as the online course platform. The course platform will be opened one week before the course begins to all students who were accepted. Here you will be able to access literature, assignments, announcements, as well as participate in discussions and communicate with teachers.
The course schedule can be found under the course information on the right. Please note that the final version of the schedule will be made available four weeks before the course begins, and changes may occur until that point. A more detailed schedule will be available on the course platform on Canvas.